Click on the logo to follow us on facebook
- York CHA & HF Rambling Club is a friendly independent club, which is dedicated to the purpose of providing enjoyable walking in the countryside.
- Founded in 1908 we believe the club to be the oldest walking group in the York area.
- Since its earliest formation the club has continued to allow its members to take part in healthy exercise, appreciate and learn about the countryside while enjoying the companionship of others.
- The walks take place on Sunday's every three weeks and can be combined with regular social events and short holiday breaks.
- To date the club is thriving and at present has a membership of around one hundred.
June 2014 an evening at the Mansion House in the presence of the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress.
York CHA & HF Rambling Club are organising a weekend at the ‘Wharfside House’ at Kettelwell.
The dates are from Friday 3rd October 2014 to Sunday 5th October 2014 (at the time of writing there were still some places available on this holiday).
The 2015 Spring Weekend Holiday will also take place between March 20th & March 23rd at the HF Holidays Country House in Sedburgh.
If you are interested in joining us or would like further information please use the ‘Contact Us’ page of the website.
Following the presentation that Douglas G Hope (Researcher University of Cumbria) gave to the club we are very pleased to announce that Douglas has kindly produced an article which now appears on the website.
Thomas Arthur Leonard, who founded the Co-operative Holidays Association (CHA) in 1893 and the Holiday Fellowship (HF) in 1913, was described on his death in 1948 as the Father of the open-air holiday movement. The article shows that this epitaph is no under-statement. (To read more please visit the ‘About the founder of CHA & HF’ page).
Also see our links page which can direct you to the new Douglas Hope website.
(If after reading the article you would like to get in touch Douglas or request any additional information please click here).
If you have a message for members please use the 'Message Board' (you can post your own entries)
2014 Walk dates can be seen on the website please see the '2014 Rambles Dates' page for further details.
Loftus 'B' Party Walk Summer 2014 (Photo by Jean D)
We also have a number of Social events coming up, please see the 'Calendar' page or the latest programme for further details.
If you are new to the club and would like to know more then please see the 'Interested in joining' page
The photograph at the top of the page was taken on a club walk at Howsham in 1915